Tuesday, February 12, 2008

re: getting better

This has been a rough week, and it is only Tuesday!
I am trying to get back into work out. I still have a cough from that dang flu. It's nature's cruel joke! But I am slogging through it. I went 1.20 miles in 22 minutes on the dreadmill AND got crunches and planks in.....
Now I have to go to bed....

Any words of wisdom to get this cough gone??
I think a couple of pounds snuck back on while I was recuperating!
Time to get back in the saddle.

Of course this weather isn't helping either. I would ride my bike outside if it would just dry up and get even into the upper 30's.

I am also trying to get in shape for that tri I signed up for (WTF was I thinking??)
I am going to try to follow this plan to get up to running a 5K. Also the minimum of 1 swim a week and that spinning class. At least it is a start, for now! My goal is just to finish the race, not concerned right now about times etc.

2 comments:

Flabulous Mom said...

Colds suck! Someone once told me that if you take vick's vapor rub and rub it on your feet, put on socks and then go to bed that it helps the cough...weird I know. If nothing else it really helps make you feel warm and toasty. (yes I tried it...even weirder I know!) Don't get to down on yourself...you're looking great! I know you'll be ready for this ride and the tri in no time at all.

Your workout plan sounds great and I know you are determined enough to somehow squeeze all that in. It's not like you have a couple of kids, work, take care of the house etc... or anything. Not a problem right? :)

Non-Athletic Athlete said...

Ok, first of all....

You can do that tri, it is no big deal. If you have to walk some of the run, so what, lots of people do. But you will do JUST FINE!

Secondly,

My advice mostly is for before you get sick, but I have a fairly sure-fire way to keep healthy. If I feel ANYTHING coming on (a little sniffle, little throat soreness, etc), I start downing Airborne ever 4 hours. I also double my liquids and try to get more rest. And most importantly, believe it or not, try to keep a positive mental attitude. This has helped me ward off colds for 5 years straight until this year.

As far as once you have them, I keep that routine up because it does help minimize impact. Also, I know it's uncomfortable, but I do try to do the elliptical or bike because I think sweating helps it move through your system. If you're not breathing well, running may not be a good thing, but others you may be able to tolerate a little more.

That's my advice and I'm sticking to it. :)