Tuesday, August 14, 2007

re: rambling thoughts on your rides?

So I went for an easy 14 mile ride today. I call it easy only in that it was in my neighborhood so there were no climbs. Rides through our neighborhood are still fraught with dangers! Cracked roads/sidewalks, the occasional loose small dog with big-dog thoughts (I am gonna eat me a cyclist!), helmet-less children that can barely ride, drivers NOT paying attention, the usual! I know that I am not supposed to ride on side-walks but I am not riding on the roads that are 2 lanes and 45 MPH with a tiny little shoulder - at least not until I can consistently get my speed up! So for those roads, it is the sidewalk.

Do you ever have random odd thoughts while you are riding? I do....Like.... Hmmm I can feel quite the cool breeze on these shorts - what if they rip open?....... Why does my shadow always have a better shape than I do?.... Did I just hear a cat-call for me? nah - can't be..... how silly do I look on this bike right now?.... why are there so many McHouses in my area for sale (the ones that people were buying up left and right in the $450,000 - $500,000 range a few years ago)... Why do people ride without helmets and worse.... why do they let their children ride without helmets?.... what in the WORLD was I thinking when I decided to do this 300 mile bike ride?

2 comments:

Flabulous Mom said...

LOL-F2F youa re too funny! Although I am not one to talk cause I have random thoughts everyday. But hey, whatever keeps your mind off the actual pedaling of the bike and keeps you going right? Good for you 14 miles! Keep it up woman!

Non-Athletic Athlete said...

my mind wanders a ton when I ride. I love it. Yesterday it didn't roam so much on my ride, I just listen to the crickets a lot and smelled cow poop.