Sunday, June 15, 2008

update for today's ride

40 miles. I did 40 miles today on the bike. woo hoo! According to my cyclometer I was cycling for approximately 2:40 that's a lot of cycling!
Now I had all my stuff, even remembered my cell phone this time which I often forget. The one thing I forgot... okay I have NATURAL RED Hair... no dye here... so I burn... easily.... DOH! THe sun was out and I got burned. Luckily a lot of the ride is in the shade and it was a cloudy day today. The burn could have been a LOT worse... I won't forget again.... until next year....

So other lessons from the ride today:
- don't wait over an hour to use the GU. I waited too long, I felt like I was NOT going to make it until it kicked in.
- check the radar YOURSELF. A nasty little cell moved through when i was only 7 miles from home. Luckily I could find an overpass to sit it out. I tried to get DH to come get me, but he pointed out that the cell was a small one, and by the time he would get himself and the kids loaded up and get to me, the storm would have passed. And it did. However, I think he forgot, or perhaps did not know, it is actually very unsafe to ride right after a rainstorm.

So anyway... The ride went well! My quads HURT when I first got home.. but some stretching, a shower, and a couple Motrin later.. no pain! :)

it was a good ride. and I think that was the longest ride I have ever taken in my entire life. :)